A sentencing date has been confirmed for a convicted terrorist from Slough.
Ilyas Akhtar pleaded guilty to terror-related charges and arson attacks at Slough Ice Arena and Salt Hill Activity Centre last year. The Old Bailey was told he was reckless as to whether life was endangered. Following a change in legal representation, his sentencing has been rescheduled for the fifth of June.
Air France and Airbus have been found guilty of corporate manslaughter over a 2009 plane crash which killed two hundred and twenty-eight people.
The Paris Appeals Court overturned a previous ruling that cleared the companies. It follows an investigation into flight AF447 from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, which stalled during a storm and plunged into the Atlantic Ocean, killing all on board.
Three teenage boys who raped two lone girls in separate attacks in Hampshire have been sentenced.
Prosecutors said the assaults in Fordingbridge were brazenly filmed on mobile phones, with footage showing the boys laughing. At Southampton Crown Court, two fifteen-year-olds received three-year Youth Rehabilitation Orders with intensive surveillance, while a fourteen-year-old was given eighteen months of probation supervision.
The Chancellor has announced a temporary cut to VAT on some attractions from twenty per cent to five per cent.
In a parliamentary statement on helping families with the cost of living, Rachel Reeves launched the Great British Summer Savings Scheme. She stated that families should be able to enjoy time together without worrying about their next bill, adding that the measure will also support the hospitality sector.
Temperatures are set to soar this bank holiday weekend, with a chance of record-breaking thirty-three degree May highs in parts of the country.
Health alerts have been issued as the UK braces for a heatwave starting on Friday. Experts say the country could see the hottest day of the year so far, potentially smashing the previous May record of thirty-two point eight degrees set in London in 1922.
Net migration to the United Kingdom has fallen to 171,000, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics.
The data, covering the 12 months to December 2025, reveals a drop of over 48 per cent from the previous year’s figure of 331,000. This is the lowest level recorded since early 2021.
The late Queen specifically requested that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor be appointed as a UK trade envoy.
A letter written by Sir David Wright in February 2000 reveals her wish for the Duke of York to succeed the Duke of Kent. Sir David noted the Queen was keen for the Duke of York to promote national interests as his active naval career ended.
An NHS trust has sacked 11 staff members for inappropriately accessing the medical records of the Nottingham attacks victims.
Barnaby Webber, Grace O’Malley-Kumar, and Ian Coates were killed by Valdo Calocane in June 2023. Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust launched an internal investigation after the breaches emerged. Alongside the dismissals, 14 other employees received written warnings.
Children aged five to 15 will travel for free on participating English local buses in August, the Chancellor will announce today.
Rachel Reeves is to reveal a one hundred million pound scheme to relieve cost-of-living pressures. The government will also suspend tariffs on over one hundred types of products, including biscuits, chocolate, and dried fruit. Ministers are pressing supermarkets to cut costs but will not force them to cap essential prices.
Ofcom has criticised TikTok and YouTube in a new report, stating that their content feeds are not safe enough for children.
The media regulator called for stronger action on online safety, noting that Meta, Snap and Roblox have each agreed to tougher anti-grooming measures. Ofcom intends to share concerns with the government regarding the ineffective enforcement of minimum age rules. In response, YouTube stated it provides industry-leading, age-appropriate experiences, while TikTok expressed disappointment that its safety features were not acknowledged by the watchdog.
The largest union at Samsung Electronics has suspended a planned strike after reaching a last-minute tentative pay agreement with the South Korean technology giant.
The move temporarily eases fears of industrial disruption at the world’s largest memory chipmaker during an artificial intelligence data centre boom. The union, which represents nearly forty-eight thousand workers, announced that the industrial action scheduled for Thursday is suspended while members vote on the deal from the twenty-second to the twenty-seventh of May.
Related